Post #10 — 11/23/20
IN THIS POST…
- The Week Ahead
- Weekend NCAA Recap, Video Highlights & Observations
- ECAC Makes Scheduling Statement & COVID Update
The Week Ahead…
NCAA HOCKEY is back! 19 games were scheduled this weekend and 13 played. Scores, box-scores and video highlights where available are below. It will be a slow week with Thanksgiving Thursday and no games on the NCAA scheduled until Friday. Yale University is off for the rest of the semester with students, faculty, and staff now home.
The Nutmeg Classic tournament held the weekend of Thanksgiving annually between UCONN, Quinnipiac, Yale and one other school from another conference would have been played this weekend. UCONN was set to host this year but the event was cancelled. The Nutmeg moves to Ingalls Rink at Yale next year in 2021. Why the name ‘Nutmeg’ you ask? The state of Connecticut is known as the Nutmeg state. You can find out how CT got its ‘Nutmeg’ nickname HERE.
Weekend NCAA Recaps & Observations…
Game 1 — Boston College 6 at UNH 2 | Box Score |Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — UNH 1 @ Boston College 4 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 1 — Maine 2 @ Holy Cross 1 | Box Score |Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — Maine 2 @ Holy Cross 3 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 1 — Colgate 3 @ Syracuse 2 OT | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — Syracuse 1 @ Colgate 3 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 1 — MN-Duluth @ MSU-Mankato | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — MN-Duluth 7 @ MSU-Mankato 3 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 1 — UCONN 2 at Providence 6 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — Providence 1 @ UCONN 1 – OT, UCONN wins shootout 2-0 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 1 — Ohio St. 0 @ Minnesota 4 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
Game 2 — Ohio St. 2 @ Minnesota 1 | Box Score | Video Highlights Below
- BC freshman Gaby Roy had 4 goals Friday and an assist Saturday in her first collegiate weekend.
- Overheard on NESN’s broadcast Saturday between BC and UNH as to why BC didn’t wear health-protective COVID masks… if players wear a bubble, you don’t have to wear them. We’ll try to find out if there’s a mandate from NCAA or conferences.
- The new NCAA 3v3 overtime protocol made its debut in 3 games. Colgate and Syracuse started OT with Colgate on a 4v3 PP and that’s where it ended as Colgate scored. Trine University and Concordia-WI had the first legit 3v3 action with Trine winning 2-1. Providence and UCONN played the full 5-minutes of 3v3 OT in game two if its series Saturday. UCONN won the shootout 2-0.
- With 6 games being postponed due to COVID, we can bet the season schedule will be a wait-and-see kind of thing each weekend.
ECAC Makes Scheduling Statement & COVID Update
ECAC Hockey commissioner Steve Hagwell announced the 20-21 women’s ECAC conference will have four members–Clarkson, Colgate, Quinnipiac, and St. Lawrence. They are set to engage in ECAC league contests beginning sometime in January per an ECAC Hockey release which you can read HERE.
As of Monday the 23rd, we have learned that the Quinnipiac men’s program has paused all hockey activity due to two players testing positive. It is unclear if the women’s program has been effected.
Until next time… stay safe everyone.