Post #31 — 3/3/21 — Conference Tourney Time, Weekly Poll, Scores, sifters
Recruiting Rule of the day… NCAA Bylaw 184.108.40.206
Off-campus recruiting contacts shall not be made with an individual (or his or her family members) before August 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school.
In This Post…
- Conference Tourney Time
- NCAA Weekly Polls
Conference Tourney Time…
Hockey East – And Then There Were Two… The #1 seed and nations #1 ranked team the Northeastern Huskies will meet #3 seed and the nations #9 ranked team Providence College for the 2021 Hockey East Championship. This tournament began last week with an 9 vs. 8 ‘Opening Round’ game, then four quarter-final games last Sunday, and two Semi-Final games last night. Here are the scores, highlights, and postgame reaction.
|#9 vs. #8 Opening Round Game|
|#9 Holy Cross 0 @ #8 New Hampshire 3 | Box / Video Highlights / Postgame|
|#6 vs. #3 Quarter-Final Game #1|
|#6 Boston University 3 @ #3 Providence 4 | Box / Video Highlights & Postgame|
|March 3, 2021 Hockey East Championship Semi-Finals|
|#7 UCONN 1 @ #1 Northeastern 2 | Box / Video Highlights / Postgame|
|#5 Maine 0 @ #3 Providence 1 OT | Box / Video Highlights & Postgame|
|March 6, 2021 Hockey East Championship Game|
|Providence vs. Northeastern| 7:00pm | NESN-TV|
ECAC Quartet Set… Only four teams competed in the ECAC this season with all 6 Ivies and Union / RPI cancelling their seasons. It took until the last regular season weekend of the year do determine tournament seedings. Colgate, the nations #6th ranked team, is the #1 seed and will host #4 seed and the nations #10th ranked team Quinnipiac. #2 seed St. Lawrence will host #3 seed Clarkson. SLU had a late start to its season but managed to climb into 2nd place after three straight wins over Clarkson last week. The highest remaining seed will host the Championship game. You can read more on the tournament HERE. The tournament schedule and streaming info is below.
|March 5, 2021 – ECAC Hockey Women’s Championship Semi-Finals|
|#4 Quinnipiac @ #1 (6) Colgate | 5:00PM | ESPN + Stream|
|#3 Clarkson @ St. Lawrence | 5:00pm | ESPN + Stream|
|March 7, 2021 – ECAC Hockey Women’s Championship Game|
|#4 Quinnipiac / #1 Colgate winner VS. #3 Clarkson / #2 St. Lawrence Winner | ESPN + Stream|
NEWHA To Host Commissioner’s Cup End of Year Event… The 6-Team New England Women’s Hockey Alliance was not able to have a season. Two teams however, Sacred Heart and second year program Long Island University, were able to play a schedule of non-conference games and a few vs. one another. The NEWHA announced it would host a end of year event for both teams, a 3-game series to win what the NEWHA is calling The Commissioners Cup. You can read the official NEWHA announcement HERE. LIU won the series 2 games to 0 over Sacred Heart.
|2021 New England Women’s Hockey Alliance Commissioner’s Cup|
|Game 1 – Long Island Univ. 3 @ Scared Heart 2 – OT | Box / NO Video Highlights / Postgame|
|Game 2 – Sacred Heart 2 @ Long Island Univ. 5 | Box / NO Video Highlights / Postgame|
College Hockey America Quarter-Final Field Ready To Go… All six teams make the Championship tournament hosted this year by Mercyhurst University at Erie Insurance Arena. The top two seeds, #1 Penn State and #2 Mercyhurst will get first-round byes. Teams will get 60 tickets and a total of 120 fans per game is being allowed. You can read the official tournament announcement HERE. Erie Insurance Arena is also the site of the Women’s Frozen Four March 18-20. The full tournament schedule is below.
|March 4, 2021 College Hockey America Tournament First Round|
|#6 RIT 0 @ #3 Robert Morris 2 | 2:00pm | Box / Video Highlights & Postgame–Scroll down page for video|
|#5 Lindenwood @ #4 Syracuse | 7:30pm | Box / NO Video Highlights / Postgame|
|March 5, 2021 College Hockey America Tournament Semi-Final Round|
|#1 Penn State vs. Syracuse | 2:00pm | Stream Info|
|#2 Mercyhurst vs. Robert Morris | 7:30pm | Stream Info|
|March 6, 2021 College Hockey America Tournament Championship Game|
|Winner Semi-FInal #1 vs. Winner Semi-Final #2| 6:00pm | Stream Info|
Top Four In WCHA Set for Final Faceoff… Minnesota’s Ridder Arena will play host to the WCHA’s postseason tournament. This year, only four teams make the field–#1 seed Wisconsin, #2 Minnesota-Duluth #3 Ohio State, and #4 Minnesota. That is a pretty loaded field given Wisco is nationally ranked at #2, Ohio St. #3, Minnesota #4, and Duluth at #5. Schedule and streaming info is below. You can read the WCHA official tournament announcement HERE.
|March 6, 2021 WCHA Final Faceoff Semi-Final|
|Game #1 – #1 Wisconsin vs. #4 Minnesota | 1:07pm CST| Stream Info|
|Game #2 – MN- Duluth vs. Ohio St. | 5:07pm CST | Stream Info|
|March 7, 2021 WCHA Final Faceoff Championship Game|
|Game 3 – Game #1 winner vs. Game #2 Winner| 2:07pm CST | Stream Info|
NCAA Weekly Polls…
Weekly polls are out as of March 1.
|USCHO.com Top 10 Poll|
|#3 Ohio State|
|#7 Penn State|
|#8 Boston College|
|USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Top 10|
|#3 Ohio State|
|#7 Penn State|
|#8 Boston College|
USA Hockey Nationals Is A Go… For now anyway. Earlier this week USA Hockey announced it was moving forward with its youth National Championships. You can read their official announcement HERE. The Tier I U14, U16, and U19 Girls Divisions will take place in West Chester, PA. The Tier II tournament will take place in Denver, CO. Dates for both tournaments are April 28 – May 3, 2021.
Canada on the other hand has a national championship at the Midget (U18AAA) age level in the late Spring called the ESSO Cup. That tournament has been cancelled.
The NHLCA Announces Female Coaches Spotlight… The National Hockey League Coaches Association started a female development program last year as the pandemic began. 50 female coaches from across North America took part. Aimed at improving skills development, leadership strategies, communication tactics, and career advancement opportunities, members of the program where available, were paired with their local NHL team to enhance the connection to the local community. You can read the full list of coaches in the program HERE, several of which are coaching at the NCAA.
MN HS Update… High School hockey in Minnesota is in its final month of the regular season. It looks like most teams have played around 12-14 games with some as few as 9-10. The state tournament is one of the great girls high school events around. Minnesota is divided into 8 sections, section winners move on to the state tournament at the Excel Energy Center where the NHL’s MN Wild play. Section tournaments are slated to run from March 15-21 and the State Tournament April 1-3.
Monthly NCAA Zoom Meeting Update… This past Tuesday the NCAA D-I and D-III coaching body along along with conference commissioners and members of the NCAA took part in it’s monthly zoom call. Here is a rundown of what was discussed:
- D-III National Tournament Cancellation… The D-III National Championship was cancelled due to low numbers of programs participating due to COVID
- D-I Tourney Selection… The D-I National Tournament Selection Committee has been hard at work watching as many games this year as they are able. The ‘eye test’ will play a more prominent role than ‘the math’ this year due to the lack of inter-conference competition
- D-I Selection Show Stream… Sunday March 7 at 9PM EST. the NCAA will announce the field of 8 for the National Collegiate Women’s Ice Hockey Championship. The selection show will be streamed by the NCAA live and for free. You can find a link to the NCAA’s D-I women’s hockey page HERE where streaming information should be provided.
- NCAA Quarter-Final games on ESPN?… Our NCAA partners said ESPN is working on making arrangements to stream all four NCAA quarter-final games on ESPN3. Nothing is final yet. All NCAA tournament games will be streamed on NCAA.org. Last week we learned ESPN entered into a multi-year contract to televise the NCAA Women’s Frozen Four. The first Semi-Final will be streamed live on ESPN3 and the second semi-final and national championship game will be televised on ESPNU.
- Bracket Integrity… One advantage to every game of the national tournament being held at one location vs. just the Frozen Four, is you can have bracket integrity and a true seeded bracket where #1 plays #8, #2 vs. #7, etc. In prior years, the NCAA would have to take into account geography and travel restrictions which didn’t always allow for a true seeded bracket schedule.
- A Return to Recruiting… Our NCAA partners on the Zoom call discussed how the NCAA’s D-I Council might handle a return to recruiting come June 1. It is thought the NCAA will 1) not have sport-specific recruiting rules, 2) more than likely allow camps and clinics as part of a first wave of allowable activity for college coaches, and 3) Off-campus recruiting and campus visits could come later in the summer or even latter.
Until Next Time… Have a great weekend everyone!
-Streams for games in the ECAC can be found HERE. Subscriptions will be necessary to watch games in the ECAC.
-Streams in the WCHA can be found HERE for homes games at Bemidji, MSU-Mankato, MN-Duluth, and St. Cloud. Streams for home games at Minnesota, Ohio St., and Wisconsin can be found HERE. Subscriptions will be necessary to watch games in the WCHA.
Streams in Hockey East this year can be found HERE and all streams FREE of charge for the 20-21 season.