Post #34 — 3/15/21 — NCAA Preview – Day 2
In This Post…
- Recruiting Rule of The Day
- NCAA Preview
Recruiting Rule of The Day…Question: During the temporary COVID-19 dead period, may a coach of a prospective student-athlete or an individual associated with a prospective student-athlete have in-person contact with an institution’s coach?
Answer: No. The temporary COVID-19 recruiting dead period was established by the NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee as one way the Division I membership may be able to avoid the unnecessary health and safety risks associated with travel and in-person interactions between coaches and student-athletes and other individuals they may encounter during these activities.
Game one of the 2021 NCAA National Collegiate Women’s Ice Hockey Championships is in the books with #1 seed Northeastern a 5-1 winner over #8 seed Robert Morris University. Tonight, it’s the 5/4 matchup at 7pm EST. between MN-Duluth of the WCHA and Colgate of the ECAC. The other half of the bracket plays tomorrow at 2pm & 7pm. Below is a preview of both games.
#7 Providence vs. #2 Wisconsin | Tuesday March 16, 2pm EST | Link to Live Stream on NCAA.com
- Wisconsin comes in as the #2 ranked team in both polls with a record of 14-3-1, and 6-1-1 in it’s last eight games. Wisco only played two games prior to January when they split with Ohio State Nov. 27 & 28. Offensively they are led upfront by former Patty Kaz. winner Daryl Watts who in 18 games has 17G’s and 16A’s good for 33 pts. Additionally are two seniors, Brette Pettet and Grace Bowlby with 19 and 17 pts. a piece respectively. Bowlby has 0 goals and 17 assists. Rounding out the production is Junior forward Sophie Shirley 2nd in team scoring with 23 pts. and and mid-year freshman transfer Lacey Eden who has contributed 8 goals and 7 assts. good for 15 pts. In net backstopping this group is Kennedy Blair with a 1.70 goals against ave. and a .937 save percentage. Ironically she transferred from Mercyhurst to Wisco and will feel right at home in familiar territory.
- Providence is making its first NCAA appearance since 2005 when it lost a 6-1 decision to Minnesota and the first appearance under head coach Matt Kelly. It’s been a tale of two season for Providence. The Friars went 7-2-1 in its first ten games while mustering a 5-5-0 record in its last ten. Offensively the Friars are led by Juniors, Sarah Hjalmarsson with 5 goals and 12 assists and Caroline Peterson right behind her with 8 goals and 7 assists. Freshman D Brooke Becker has been impressive this season leading the D corps in scoring with 14 pts. with 3G’s and 11A’s. Freshman D Claire Tyo has also been a bright spot for the Friars chipping in 3G’s and 8A’s for 11 pts. In net it’s been the Sara Abstreiter show playing in all of the Friars’ twenty games having a .927 SV % and a 2.05 GAA.
- Providence Preview | Wisconsin Video Preview
#6 Boston College vs. #3 Ohio State | Tuesday March 16, 7pm EST | Link to Live Stream on NCAA.com
- Ohio State comes into the NCAA tourney having just lost the WCHA Championship 3-2 in OT to Wisconsin which it had won a year earlier against the same Badgers. Then COVID hit and everything was put on hold. You could say OSU has a bit of unfinished business to tend to perhaps? OSU finished the year at 12-6-0 and had wins vs. every team it faced at least once. OSU has 8 wins vs. nationally ranked teams with 4 vs. teams in the tourney. The offense is by committee but is led by Seniors Emma Maltais and Tatum Skaggs with 15 and 17 pts. a piece. Sophomore Jennifer Gardiner is tied for the team lead in goals with 8. Junior goaltender Andrea Braendli has seen the lion’s share of the net-minding duties posting a .918 SV % and a 1.99 GAA in sixteen games played.
- Boston College lost to UCONN in its Hockey East quarter-final game 5-1 but had a body of work the NCAA selection committee agreed was worthy of getting into the tourney. BC went 14-5-0 overall with key wins vs. Northeastern (NU’s only blemish) back in Nov. and Providence in overtime back in the middle of Feb. Junior forwards Savanna Norcross and Kelly Browne pace the Eagles with 20 pts. a piece. Sophomore forward Hannah Bilka and D Hadley Harmetz are right behind them with 15 and 14 pts. each. All three goalies have seen time this year with Abigail Levy having a 6-3-0 record, a .945 SV % and 1.64 GAA.
- Ohio State Preview | Boston College Preview
Until Next Time… Have a great weekend everyone!
-Streams for games in the ECAC can be found HERE. Subscriptions will be necessary to watch games in the ECAC.
-Streams in the WCHA can be found HERE for homes games at Bemidji, MSU-Mankato, MN-Duluth, and St. Cloud. Streams for home games at Minnesota, Ohio St., and Wisconsin can be found HERE. Subscriptions will be necessary to watch games in the WCHA.
Streams in Hockey East this year can be found HERE and all streams FREE of charge for the 20-21 season.